Saturday, July 28, 2007

What the Heck is BMI?

Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is a calculation of the ratio between your
height and weight used as a guideline to determine good health. Note
the word "guideline", it is not 100% accurate and does not work for
everybody. For example, if you are very muscular, you will have a high
BMI which might classify you as "obese". This is obviously not the
case, so I have included some other measures that you can use



Calculating your BMI (Body Mass Index) is easy:

Your Weight (in kilograms)
Your Height (in metres) 2

Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

BMI is a great tool to gage overall body fat but it may overestimate
body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build and
underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost
muscle mass.


The percentage to body fat should also be taken into consideration.
This can be measured through fitness testing. Here is an acceptable range for men & women:

Women = 21-31%
Men = 14-25%


The placement of your body fat is also important. Waist circumference
is another important tool for health as the risk of heart and other
diseases increases with a higher measurement. Here are the magic
numbers to stay heart healthy:

Women = <35 inches
Men = <40>

1 comment:

  1. I think the BMI thing is a crock of sh1t. I have a BMI of 37. I am 5ft4in and 213lbs. I was told I am obese. I am not, I agree I am overweight but I am in no way obese. Doctors telling people of my height that a 140 - 150 lbs is an ideal weight pushes them into crash diets and eating disorders. Who cares what your weight is, who cares what your BMI is, as long as you like the way you look in the mirror is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails