Monday, June 29, 2009

The "S" Word

Source

I know, I know, it has been a while since my last post but I have to tell you that June was a whirlwind of a month.

I am currently trying to get my act together so I can attend school in the fall (I will fill you in when everything is finalized) and there has been so much to do. Paperwork, traveling, interviews and all of it had to be done in a very short period of time. The entire process has been exhausting. Along with all my other responsibilities, I have been totally stressed out!

There it is. The "S" word.

We know it all to well. Everywhere you turn there is more of it. At work, at home, with our friends, with our families. So what can you do to stop stress from taking over your life? Here are a few things I have learned over the last few years that have really helped me deal with stress and I hope that they can help you too.

Take a Step Back - The next time you find yourself knee deep in projects ready to pull your hair out, take a break. Remove yourself from the area, take a few deep breaths and have a cup of tea. You will be surprised how a few minutes away can give you a fresh outlook. Make sure that you take time for yourself every week. Join a yoga class or spend an hour with a good book.

Talk It Out - If something is bothering you, your silence is only going to make it worse. Confide in a friend or family member. You may even find it helpful to speak with a health professional about your problems. This is not only therapeutic but it may help you to see your issues from a different perspective.

Be Positive - Having a positive attitude is a great asset in any situation. When we we are under a lot of pressure, it is so easy to say, "I give up" or "I can't do it." Focus on what you "can" do and ask for help if you need it. Have a sense of humour if things are not going your way. Laughter is the best medicine.

Keep It Real - Much of the stress that we feel comes from the pressure we put on ourselves. For example, you to do a presentation, run a PTA meeting, take your kids to soccer and make cookies for a bake sale all in one night. Does this sound like you? Be realistic when you are tackling projects and set clear goals. The best thing you can do is learn to say, "no".

Have a great week and Happy Canada Day!

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails