Monday, September 13, 2010

I (Do Not) Heart Running

Source
I don't like running. There, I said it. It is just one of those things that I could never really get into.

For many years I have been surrounded by colleagues and friends who have done everything in their power to convince me that running is the best thing since sliced bread. They tell me about the beauty of being able to hit the open road, taking the time to be alone with their thoughts and the all important "runner's high".

Personally, I have never experienced this "high". When I run, all I can think about is how much longer I have to go before I can stop. Maybe I trying to hard? Maybe I not focused enough?

With this in mind, I decided to give running another shot. I have been giving it 100% all summer and still find myself longing for my morning run to be over.

Now don't get me wrong here, running is a great cardiovascular exercise. Anyone can learn to do it and is fairly inexpensive (all you need is a great pair of sneakers and a place to run). As a matter of fact, I often recommend it to my clients but, like any other exercise modality, running is only great if YOU enjoy it.

The bottom line: You need engage in an activity that you love. That is the only way that you are going to stick with it. If you love running, then run. If you love to play sports, then play.

Me, I am going to swim.

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails