Thursday, December 30, 2010

Healthy Apple-Berry Crumble Makeover

I am happy to report that my healthy Christmas treats were pretty well received (for a first try).  Thank you so much to my guinea pigs (i.e. family and friends) for being taste testers and giving me great feedback to improve my recipes.

Well, there was no debate on this next dish, it was the true winner, hands down:  Apple-Berry Crumble!

I modified this recipe slightly to lose some of the sugar, and focus on the natural sweetness of the fruit.  My family had this after Christmas dinner and it was light, crunchy and so easy to make.  Try it for yourself!

Apple-Berry Crumble (Make 15 servings)

6 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
4 tbsp lemon juice
5 cups of mixed berries (I used 1 bag of frozen strawberries, blackberries and raspberries)
1 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp oat bran
1/3 cup butter

Preheat over to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.

Mix apples with lemon juice and spread across the bottom of the pan.  Top with berries.

To make the crumble, combine oats, sugar, cinnamon, bran and butter until it clumps in pea-size pieces.

Spread crumble over apples-berry mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Serve warm with frozen yogurt :)

Nutritional Information (Approx.)
131 calories
4.6 g fat
22.4 g carbs
1.1 g protein 
4 g fibre


Stay Healthy, 
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails