Friday, December 03, 2010

Healthy Brownie Makeover


I have been sick the past few days and what better way to pass the time (and make me feel better) than to try another recipe makeover!

I take back what I said about my Chocolate Chip Cookies. Although they were delicious, this brownie recipe absolutely wins the prize for my favourite treat!

I found this recipe and made a few substitutions. I added wheat germ, milk and chocolate chips. I increased the amount of cocoa and applesauce. Then I substituted mint for the vanilla and a flax egg for a regular egg.

The result: An oooey, gooey, minty brownie that is not too sweet, and very chocolatey.

Enjoy!

Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp pure peppermint extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or more :)

Preheat over to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.

Mix flour, wheat germ, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl add applesauce, sugar, flax egg, milk, peppermint and beat until smooth.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. (The batter will be thick). Add chocolate chips and stir.

Spread batter into dish and bake for 20-25 minutes. Try not to overcook as you want brownies to be just slightly underdone.

Nutritional Information (Approx.)
56 calories
1.4 g fat
10.6 g carbs
1.6 protein
1.5 g fibre

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails