Saturday, December 11, 2010

Natural Cold Remedies

Ah, Choo!






















I wanted to thank everyone for the birthday wishes, you have all made my heart smile:)

Unfortunately, I have been battling a nasty cold all week (I have lost my voice too, which I am sure will make some people happy.)  I have been trying over-the-counter medications, but they don't seem to be working for me so I thought it was time to get creative with some home remedies.

While there is no cure for the common cold, I have done some research, got some great suggestions from fellow bloggers and came up with the following list of remedies you can try for yourself.


Healing Foods
Drinking keeps the body well hydrated. There seem to be a consensus that warm liquids are good for soothing the throat and treating a cold. This includes warm water or tea with ginger and/or honey and chicken soup.  You may want to avoid coffee, alcohol or milk products as they can be irritating.  Salt can also be helpful for a throat and the nose.

Rest and Stay Warm
Take a few days off of work to avoid spreading your cold around the office.  The body is run down and needs to rest.  Keeping warm will help make you more comfortable and perhaps allow you to get more sleep.

Natural Supplements
Many people have found that echinacea, zinc lozenges and Cold FX are very beneficial if  taken, as directed, at the first signs of a cold.  Organo oil, garlic and vitamin C may also be helpful to take during your cold to shorten its severity and duration.


What do you think? Have you tried any of these remedies? Do you have any ideas that you can share?

Stay Healthy, 
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails