Thursday, August 02, 2012

Worth Repeating: Cross Training with Aqua Fitness


You know what I always say,"Some things are just worth repeating."

We are smack dab in the middle of summer and I can't think of any better way to get your sweat on.  Aqua fitness is great for all ages and levels and is surprisingly challenging.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!


It has been a pretty stressful week and working out was the last thing I wanted to do last night.

However, I knew in the back of my mind that as much as I didn't want to workout, some form of exercise would make me feel better (it always does).

I didn't want to run.  I needed something a bit easier on my joints, but still intense enough to get my heart rate up.

Source




















The answer:  Aqua Fitness

I have talked jumping in the water as a great exercise option and here's why:
  • Increased flexibility
  • Reduced risk of injury
  • Provides resistance in all directions
  • Great for all levels of fitness
  • No impact

Swimming and aqua fitness are also a fantastic way for all of my fellow runners to cross train.

Many of you opt for a ride on the eliptical or take a spin on the bike, but jumping in the pool will give you a full body workout and allow you to use the muscles you never knew you had.

It has made me a better runner and I know it will help you too.

Source



















If you decide to take the plunge, here are a few great exercises you can try.

Aqua Running
In shallow water up to your chest, begin running on the spot while pumping your arms for 30 seconds.  If space permits, run the width of the pool 10 times.  Repeat for a total of five minutes.  You can also run in deep water using an aqua belt, which will help stretch the legs and improve your range of motion. 

Jumping Jacks
In shallow water up to your chest, do jumping jacks for a total of 2 minutes.  To really challenge your legs, move to water that is waist deep and perform the jacks from a squat position for another 2 minutes.  Your arms and shoulders are going to feel this one too! 

Aqua Fitness Classes
From aqua yoga to aqua boot camp, there is something to suit everyone.  Many fitness centres and community pool offer these classes, so take advantage of them.  Simply replace one of your weekly runs with a class and I guarantee you will notice a difference in a few weeks. 

Do you workout or cross train in the water?  
Do you want to learn more exercise options for the pool?  
Let me know!

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails