Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Cranberry Almond Granola Bars

I hope you had a wonderful long weekend!

I know that it still "technically summer", but it doesn't really feel the same once September hits.

However, I must admit that I love the month of September.  It is usually still filled with warm days and the night are cool and perfect for sleeping.

It could be that I also love it because I am not a kid going back to school. ;)

I know this a busy time for year for all of us and I know you are going to be looking for something quick and healthy to tuck in your (and your kids) lunches. You are going to love these granola bars.

To be honest, these are the first of about four incarnations of bars I have been working on.  (Keep an eye out for future posts).

In the meantime enjoy these bars.  They are low in fat and super easy to make!


























Cranberry Almond Granola Bars (Make. 24 Bars)

2 cups whole rolled oats
1/4 cup ground flax
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 8x8 pan with cooking spray.

Combine oats, flax, salt and cinnamon.  In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, brown sugar, oil and vanilla.  Beat in egg.

Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combine.  Add in almonds and cranberries.

Put dough into greased pan and press down firmly with clean hands.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until side are golden brown.





















How did you feel about you or your kids going back to school today?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails