Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Exercise Review: Stress Relief Yoga

I ran more today than I have in over 3 months since I sprained my ankle.

I only did 4 2-minute sprints and they were very slow, but I got out there and I did it.

However, when I got home my ankle, knee and hip were not happy with me. (Isn't it amazing how all things are connected in the body?  When you injure one thing, you can mess up other body parts...but that is a different post. :)

After I did some foam rolling, I decided to break out a yoga DVD for a much needed stretch.  I choose Stress Relief Yoga with Suzanne Deason.  It is the perfect length (only 20 minutes) and great for stretching.

It has been a long time since I have done an exercise review and thought this would be a great opportunity to share. 

Source

















The workout begins with a gentle vinyasa to warm up the body and then moves to some simple standing postures such as Triangle and Wide Forward Fold.

You transition to some seated and lying stretches, then end with a few minutes of relaxation.

What I Loved:
  • The music.  It is very relaxing.  I am bias here as I have used similar music in my yoga classes for years. :)
  • It is great for a beginner.  The moves are very simple and the instruction is easy to follow.
  • The stretching.  Every part of my body is very happy about this.
  • It's only 20 minutes!  It is a perfect practice to do right before you go to bed.


What I Loved a Little Less:
  • It's only 20 minutes!  While this is great compliment to your workout, I would love to see a practice just like it, only 3 times longer.  (If anyone know if Suzanne Deason does one, let me know!)

I have had this DVD for quite a few years and do it a couple times a month.  It is lovely. 

Have you tried this workout?  What do you think?  Do you have any favourite quickie yoga practices that you would recommend?

Stay Healthy,

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails