Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Healthy Cashew Raisin Granola Clusters

I almost didn't get a picture of these. They only lasted a few days in my house.


























I have made granola and granola bars a few times before, but I really wanted to attempt some using my new favourite nut:  Cashews!

These are a wonderful combination of salty and sweet and make a great topper for your yogurt, cereal or even ice cream.  I may try to add some oat flour next time to get more of a "bar" consistency, but overall I am really happy with the results.

As I said, they didn't last very long. :)

This recipe could be easily halved or you could swap the add-ins (cashews and raisins) for your favourites (almonds, pistachios, chocolate chips, dried fruit etc.)





























Cashew Raisin Granola Clusters (Makes About 60 Clusters)
Adapted from All Day I Dream About Food 

3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup ground flax
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup raisins (I used Thompson)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease two 9x13 pans.

In a large bowl, combine oats, flax, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda and salt.

In a separate container (I used a measuring cup), stir honey, oil, warm water and vanilla.

Pour liquid onto oat mixture and mix until fully incorporated (You might need more or less water, so adjust as needed.  Mixture should be just slightly wet.).

Divide evenly between two pans and press down firmly with slightly dampened hands. Bake for 18-20 minutes and allow to cool completely.

Break into bite-sized pieces and store in an air tight container.























What are your favourite granola add-ins?


Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails