Thursday, December 15, 2011

Recipe Repeat: Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

I miss my camera.  There, I said it.

I really didn't realize how much I rely on my camera since I started blogging regularly.  Photography has always been something I have been interested it and I have really missed practicing and honing my skills. 

Perhaps Santa will bring me one this year. ;)

But, I digress. 

I am planning on a big bake-a-thon this weekend to try out some new holiday recipes I have encountered on a few of my favourite blogs and will be sharing them with you next week.  In the meantime, I hope you enjoy this recipe from blogs past.

I am afraid that the picture does not do it justice.  This was the most fantastic gingerbread cake I have ever tasted and I hope you try it out for yourself!























Gingerbread Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes 20 slices)

1 1/4 cups white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup low fat butter milk*
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup molasses
2 flax eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan,

Combine flour, bran, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and baking powder.  In a separate bowl, mix milk, applesauce and molasses until smooth.  Add flax eggs.

Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.

Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool and top with icing.

Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light cream cheese

Nutritional Information (Approx)
181 calories
7 g fat
28 g carbs
2 g protein
1 g fibre

*No buttermilk, no problem!  Add 1 tbsp of vinegar to 1 cup of skim milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
  
Which camera do you recommend and why?  Any recipes you have for the holidays that are worth repeating?

Stay Healthy, 
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails