Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Healthy Makeover: Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake

I love pound cake.  From its dense, spongy goodness to its lovely sweetness. This is why I don't make it very often.

Until now.

I posted on Facebook how I was itching to give it a makeover and that is exactly what I did over the weekend.  I even used stevia.

I am excited to say that I have finally found the right sugar/stevia balance.  The sweetness is perfect. The texture is too, the smell divine, the taste... not quite there.

There is something missing and I can't quite put my finger on it.  I think it needs to be flavoured a little more strongly.  I have a few ideas that I am going to share at the end of the post.






































Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake (Make 12 Slices)
Inspired by chockohlawtay and Eating Well


2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup low-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp powdered stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a loaf pan

Mix flour, powder, soda and salt and set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat sour cream, cream cheese, milk and olive oil for about 1 minute.  Add sugar and stevia and beat for 2 more minutes.  Add vanilla and lemon juice.

Add dry ingredients to wet and mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated. (Dough will be sticky and thick).  Place dough in the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.

Remove cake from the pan and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
























 Recipe Modifications:
  • Increase the amount of lemon juice and add 1 tsp of lemon rind
  • Increase the amount of vanilla by 1 tsp
  • Adding 1/2 cup of frozen fruit like blueberries
  • Any other suggestions?

Have you ever created a recipe that was good, but not 100% of what you were hoping for?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails