Thursday, February 10, 2011

Going Vegan, Day 4: I am a Flexitarian

Another day of vegan eating under my belt and I have to admit that this challenge is, well, challenging.

I signed up with an open mind and a willing stomach. As I progress, I am learning more about myself and what is right for me.

While I absolutely love being more creative in the kitchen, introducing more real foods into my diet and being more aware of what I eat, I am finding that I fit into the category of a flexitarian.

What is a flexitarian and how is that different than say, a vegetarian?

Glad you asked.  Here is a quick breakdown:

Source

























Vegetarian. A diet that includes fruit, vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds.
  • An ovo-vegetarian diet includes eggs, but no dairy.  
  • A lacto-vegetatian diet includes dairy, but no eggs.

Flexitarian. A mainly vegetarian diet including some meat products.
  • Pollotarians eat chicken and fish, but no read meat.  
  • Pescetarians eat fish, but no chicken or red meat.

I am a middle of the road kind of girl and I believe there is room in my diet for just about anything (including organic, grass-fed animal products). I have adapted an "In Defense of Food" atittude to use meat as a side dish rather than the focus of my meal.

However, my mind is still open and I will complete the challenge to see what other surprises it may bring!

Speaking of surprises,  I got two gifts in the mail yesterday.

A new breadmaker.  The one I got for Christmas decided to fall off the counter while it was busy making bread so the good people at Black and Decker sent me a new one :) and...


























A copy of Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Car, which I won from Natalie Duhamel. I was so excited, I never win anything.

So for the rest of Work-In Wednesday, I made bread and dug into the book (review to come!)

What revelations have you had this week
(food related or otherwise)?


Have you read Crazy Sexy Diet?  What did you think of it?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails