Saturday, February 12, 2011

Going Vegan, Day 6: Food and Fitness

We are in the home stretch of the challenge and have I realized that being vegan doesn't necessary make you healthier (check out Stephanie @ Lunges and Lunch for a great myth busting post).

However, I believe that the goal of most people who practice veganism is to live a balanced, mindful and healthy lifestyle.

In my preoccupation of all things food this week, I have left out a very vital component of living this balanced lifestyle:

Exercise and how it is affected by making changes in your diet.

Here is what I have noticed:

Source
















 

I have been experiencing some nausea, which has made intense exercise tough.  I think this it due to the drastic and sudden changes to my diet.  I liken these changes to that of a detox (which is what this essentially is).

Some experts believe that the body is releasing more toxins as it tries to clean out our systems and as a result, we may experience some unpleasant side effect such as, upset stomach, constipation and fatigue.

Lesson:  Listen to your body and don't push it (that sounds familiar).  This may be a good time to practice yoga or go for a light stroll after dinner.

Source


















For the few days that I did hit the road this week (I am a runner, after all :), I found that I had to add a lot more fuel to the fire (read: I am hungry all the time) to give me the energy to get moving.

A possible reason for this is that when you are eating better food, your body is able to use it more quickly and efficiently.  As a result, you need to eat much more to sustain your active lifestyle.

Lesson:  It is okay to eat more and more often.  Have lots of healthy snacks ready to go when hunger hits, so you are not tempted to reach for the fruit loops (which, as Susan pointed out, are indeed vegan).

Has food made you feel any different this week? How does diet affect your exercise routine?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails