Sunday, February 13, 2011

Going Vegan, Day 7: Reflection and Wrap Up

It is the last day of the challenge and I have certainly learned a lot by going on this journey.

What did I learn, you may ask?

Source












Everything is Connected
Drawing some wisdom from Michael Pollen, we are deeply connected to everthing on this earth.  From the soil that feeds the plants, to the plants that feed us, to how we dine with each other. We need to take more time to remember and respect these connections.

Mindfulness
This challenge has made me more aware of not only what I eat, but how I treat my body and myself.  This mindfulness has changed the way I approach how I eat and how food affects my mind, body and spirit.

Source


















Organic is Good
Like many people, I was skeptical (or perhaps uneducated) about the benefits of eating locally-grown, organic food.  While I may not always be able to make these choices with everything I eat, I am going to make a conscious effort to choose organic ingredients more often.  My body deserves it.

Veganism is a Movement
This I already knew, but this challenge has given me even more respect for people who practice this lifestyle. Going vegan requires planning, awareness and conviction.  Vegans stand up for what they believe in and speak with their actions, choices and their dollars.

Source












I am a Flexitarian
As I have already mentioned, I believe that there is room in my world for a little bit of everything.  I will continue to include meat, dairy and eggs in my diet, but much differently than before. (See points, 1, 2 and 3).  I was so happy to go on this trip of self-discovery to figure out what works for me.

If there is an ultimate lesson, it is this:  
Every body is different, listen to yours.

What did you learn this week? 

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails