Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Healthy Banana Raisin Bread Makeover

I have used bananas in a few other recipes (here and here), but I wanted to make something that tasted more like banana bread.

I was feeling creative in the kitchen and decided that instead of finding a recipe to makeover, I was going to make a healthy version myself.

I pulled out my brownie pan and got to work.  I gathered ingredients that I thought would work well together, improvised here and there and waited patiently.

The result was an easy to make, moist and tasty banana bread that reminded my of my youth, without the fat and more fibre.

Banana Raisin Bread Bars (Makes 18 Bars)

3 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 large)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 flax egg
1/2 cup raisins
18 almonds


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease your brownie or 9x9 pan.

Prepare flax egg and set asside.

Mix oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  In a measuring cup, mash bananas.  Add maple syrup and vanilla and stir.

Add banana mixture to dry ingredient and mix until just combined.  Incorporate flax egg and add raisin.

Pour batter into greased pan and press and almond into each square.  (If you are using a regular pan, you can just eyeball the placement of the almonds)

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Nutritional Information (Approx.)
98 calories
1.7 g fat
19.2 g carbs
2.4 g protein
2.3 g fibre
 
Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails