Friday, February 11, 2011

Going Vegan, Day 5: My Vega Smoothie

As I mentioned yesterday, I am decidedly an omnivore and a flexitarian, but I am pressing forward with the vegan lifestyle until Sunday to see what other valuable insight that I might glean from this experience :)

When I told one of my friends about the challenge, she gave me this to try:

I have heard great things about Vega products and have read many an article by Brendan Brazier, so I was excited to give it a whirl.

For those not familiar, Brazier is a vegan triathlete who has written extensively on the benefits of veganism, including the book, The Thrive Diet.

He created the line of Vega products to help people supplement their whole foods, plant-based diets.

The package says to mix the product with water, but my girlfriend told me that she likes to add some fruit, so that is what I did.

Frozen strawberries, watermelon, water and two tablespoons of Vega.

So, what's the verdict?

The flavour is very strong and distinct:  earthy, with a touch of sweetness.  The fruit really helped to balance this out, by adding a little freshness to the mix.

It was not bad, but it would not be first choice.  I prefer my protein powders and smoothie mixes to be more neutral so I can add in any of my favourite goodies. 

Perhaps the other flavours available are not quite as powerful and I would definitely be open to trying them.

For those interested, here is the nutritional breakdown (per 25 grams):
100 calories
2.5 g fat
9 g carbs
11 g protein
3 g fibre

Hare you tried any Vega products?  Which vegan-friendly protein powders are on the top of your list?

On a side note, I a pleased to announce that my car is fixed!  It was the battery and much to our delight, cost less than expected.  The good stuff just keeps coming this week. :)

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails