Friday, February 18, 2011

Move of the Month: Plank Pose

It is a unseasonably warm day today and I am looking forward to getting out there and enjoying it.  I am heading out for a run and hitting up some strength training today. 

I have been listening to my body and keeping my workout on the gentle side, but today I am ready to take it on!

One of the exercises in my plan for today is...








 

The Plank Pose

It is a fantastic exercise for the abs, back and upper body.  This picture demontrates an intermediate level of the position, but it can be modified in many different ways:

Plank Pose on the Ball
  1. Lie on the ball and walk your hands out until the ball is resting on your thighs (to make it more challenging, go to your shins).
  2. Relax your head and neck.  (I am posing for the camera in these pics :)  Ensure that your wrists are directly below your shoulders.  Keep your shoulders away from your ears.
  3. Press your hips slightly down so the body is in a straight line (having a mirror handy is a great idea).
  4. Contract your abdominals, but don't hold your breathe. Your muscles need that oxygen.
  5. Hold the position for 30-60 seconds, then walk your hands back to the starting position.
  6. Repeat 2 more times.












 

To make it more challenging for the last two sets, try lifting one leg.

Which version of the plank is your favourite?   
Any big plans this weekend?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails