Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Recipe Makeover: Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars

It has been a few weeks since I was able to give any recipes a "Tracy twist" and I was so happy to get back in the kitchen again.

Remember those butterscotch chips I told you about?  Well, I finally found a home for them!
























I did some searching and found this lovely recipe on Food.com.  The first thing I did was ditch the butter and eggs (I ran out of eggs :).  Next, I drastically reduced the sugar and butterscotch chips used.   

The verdict:  Not bad for a first effort.

The consistency wasn't exactly what I was looking for.  Next time, I might add in some oat flour and a bit more coconut milk.  They also could have been a tad sweeter (perhaps a few more butterscotch chips would do the trick ;).

Try them out yourself and let me know what you think!



























Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars (Makes 25 Bars)

3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cups oat bran
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 flax eggs
1/4 cup cane sugar
2 tsps vanilla
2 cups oatmeal
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cups coconut milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (my oven gets really hot so I rolled with 325) and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.

Make your flax eggs and set aside (mix 2 tbsp or ground flax with 6 tbsp of water).

Combine flour, oat bran, soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix flax eggs, sugar, and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until just combined.  Mix in oatmeal and butterscotch chips.  Add coconut milk.

Press into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool and cut into squares.
























What do you like to bake with butterscotch chips?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

P.S.  It was a late post last night so you may have missed it, Are You Exercising Correctly?  Check it out as  I would love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails