Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Vanilla Cake with Buttercream Icing and Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Balance.

The universe is working very hard to make sure we have it.  Hot and cold. Dark and light. Up and down.  Healthy and indulgent.

OK, I added that last one.

While I love to give some of my favourite desserts a healthy makeover, sometimes you just have to go all out with a sugar and fat filled dessert that you can sink your teeth into.

Like for a child's first birthday.

I was given the task of making a birthday cake for my niece's birthday and immediately decided that this was no time for makeovers. 

I made not one, but two, sinfully delicious desserts that are perfect for any special occasion.  (Even if that occasion is "just because" :)




















Vanilla Cake with Buttercream Icing and Blackberries

I found this recipe on Joy of Baking and fell in love.  I used a simple buttercream icing instead of the cream cheese frosting.  I coloured the icing with juice from some frozen mixed berries and decorated with blackberries. 

It has been a while since I have made a birthday cake and I have to say, I am pretty proud of my efforts.  I certainly didn't hear any complaints from the peanut gallery. ;)























Coconut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

I doubled the above recipe and used half to make the cake.  To the other half, I added a cup of unsweetened coconut and baked into 12 cupcakes.  I piped on the cream cheese frosting (also in the recipe above) and decorated with the shredded coconut.

These were definitely a favourite with the adults at the party with icing almost as thick as the cupcake (just the way I like them).

And yes, I had to sample both. 

The cake is very dense, almost like a pound cake and the frosting is oh-so-sweet.  Plain, vanilla birthday cake is probably my most favourite indulgence. 

However, the cupcakes were equally as yummy and I am a sucker for coconut and cream cheese.

What is your favourite sweet treat?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails