Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes with Malted Buttercream Icing

Remember last week when I was in the mood for something in between healthy and decedent and I baked up those lovely Gluten Free Carrot Cupcakes?

Well, this past weekend was all about the extreme....extreme indulgence. For another child's birthday, no less.

My nephew, Bradley.




















You remember Bradley, he thinks everything is funny.

It was his 1st birthday party and my job was to bring the chocolate cupcakes.  Another excuse to whip up something sugary and delicious?  I am in!

I decided to give regular chocolate cupcakes a malted twist.  I found this fabulous recipe, halved it (in hindsight, I should have made 24, these babies went fast), made a few substitutions and voila.

Now, I must admit that I am not really chocolate cake's biggest fan.  I am a vanilla girl all the way.  However, even I have to admit that these are pretty fantastic.  Imagine eating a Malteser in cupcake form.  Good, right?

If you don't believe me, try them yourself.  I dare you not to love them.























Chocolate Malt Cupcakes with Malted Buttercream Icing (Makes 12)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup of malted milk powder (I used Ovaltine)
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
2 large eggs, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Greek yogurt

Icing
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp malt powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp milk
3 cups icing sugar
Preheat over to 350 degrees and line you tin with baking cups.

Combine butter, chocolate chips and cocoa powder in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 1-2 minutes.  (You could also melt the chocolate using a double boiler, if you prefer.) Allow to cool.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, malted milk powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Whisk eggs with a mixer on low (hand held or stand up) and add sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until combined.

Stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture and whisk until incorporated.  Add the yogurt and the remaining flour mixture.

Bake for 18-20 minute or until and inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool.

For the icing, cream butter, malt powder, vanilla and milk in the mixer.  Add icing 1 cup at a time and mix until creamy and smooth, about 2-3 minutes.

Ice cupcakes then, lick the bowl.




















What is your favourite kind of cupcake?

Stay Healthy (and Hungry),
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails