Tuesday, September 06, 2011

CanFitPro Workshop Highlights: Post-Partum Planning

Happy First Day of School!

I can't believe it has been two years since I decided to go back.  I am pretty sure time speeds up when you get older ;)

You may remember that I worked-in last week, giving my body a rest from intense exercise and sticking to activities like yoga, walking and pilates.  I am still finding myself a bit tired this week and I think I am going to ease back into my regular routine.  Not sure if my body is quite ready for Turbo Fire just yet ;)

Today, I am going to share with you the information from another great workshop I attended at the CanFitPro Fitness Conference.














Post-Partum Planning (try saying that 5 times fast) was presented by Jessica Zapata, a personal trainer and mother from Edmonton.

Although I am not a parent myself, my focus is working with pre and post natal clients, so I was really looking forward to this workshop.

Jessica was fantastic as she really broke down some of the specific changes that take place in the body during and after pregnancy.  She also outlined a plan of attack when training a post-partum client.

This workshop was targeted toward trainers, but any mom or mom-to-be could benefit from this info.  Here are some of the key points:












Changes During Pregnancy
  • Weight gain is approx. 25-30 lbs, but all bodies are different
  • Increased laxity in ligaments and joints
  • Increased curve in the lower back
  • Water retention

Changes Post Pregnancy
  • 50% loss of tone in the pelvic floor
  • Laxity continues for at least 5 months, don't want to over-stretch
  • Diastasis Recti - splitting of the abdominals happens in 66% of women
  • Hormonal shifts and fatigue

The good news is that you can get your body back!  In the first 2 weeks, you can lose 8-20 lbs.  After that, it is the same as regular weight loss, about 2 lbs a week.

24-48 Hours Post Delivery

1-4 Weeks Post

6 Weeks and Beyond 
  • Curl ups (pilates style), toe taps and regular programming (as long as there are no special considerations such as Diastasis Recti or C-Section)

Did you get active immediately after your pregnancy?  If not, how long did it take you to get back into the swing of things?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails