Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Passport to Prana: MiraVena Yoga

Hot yoga.

My body was screaming for the heat, the stretching and the sweat. A perfect opportunity to use my Passport to Prana again :)

You may remember my adventure in the spring when I sampled Mystic Pointe Yoga.  Well on Sunday, I ventured to MiraVena Yoga in Mississauga and took the Hatha Flow Class.




























When I got the the studio, I realized that I had been there before.  It used to be Moksha Yoga Mississauga.  I hadn't been in a few years and I was curious to see if the class would be similar in style to the moksha program.

The space is very quiet and calm and the staff were very friendly and welcoming. (A good start so far!)

I entered the yoga room and found the same, relaxing atmosphere.  The room was hot (37 degrees) achieved through heating panels and steam.  I found my spot, picked up a few yoga blocks and a strap and was ready for the class. 

The instructor, Robert, was very knowledgeable and friendly.  He asked if anyone had any injuries or was new to class.  The answer was no so we jumped right it.

This class was an active one containing a series of flowing postures. After 90 minutes, I could definitely feel a difference in my body.
























 Here's my two cents:

Liked
  • Modifications were giving for all the exercises and we were encouraged to listen to our bodies and work at a level that was right for us.
  • The instructor moved around the room to help correct the students.
  • The class flowed really well.  We held the poses, but not for too long ;)

What I Would Have Liked
  • There was music playing in the background, but it was a bit too quiet.  I would have liked to be able to hear it during the practice.
  • More stretching at the end of class, perhaps in a supine position would have been a nice way to finish.
  • We were given the opportunity at the end of class to lie down as long as we needed, but I would have liked a more guided relaxation.

Overall, the class was lovely.  It was indeed very similar to the Moksha classes I have taken in the past, which is not surprising as I found out after class that most of the instructors (including Robert) are Moksha trained. 

I would definitely return to the studio again as there were a few classes on their schedule that I would like to try (like Yin and Restorative).

Have you tried a new class lately?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails