Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Exercise Review: Stott Pilates with Props, Vol. 1

It has been quite some time since I have done a DVD review and as much as I love Turbo Fire (and am lukewarm about P90X :), I thought that you would love to hear about something new!






Pilates with Props was one of the videos I got at the CanFitPro Fitness Conference and I was really looking forward to taking it for a test drive.

I have always liked the style and flow of Stott Pilates and this one didn't disappoint.  I am always looking to take my pilates practice to the next level and using props like the pilates circle, flex bands and toning balls was a fantastic way to do just that.


















What I loved about it:

  • Great use of props with a variety of exercises.
  • If you don't have any or all of the props, you could easily modify the moves to be done without them (I didn't have any toning balls, so I used light handweights).
  • Clear, easy to follow instruction.
  • Stretching is incorporated into the workout.  I find that many pilates workouts don't always include a proper stretch.
  • The "extras" included on the DVD such as pilates workout principles and the opportunity to try the next level.

What I didn't love about it:
  • As it was a beginner workout, I found it wasn't quite challenging enough for me. 




















Overall, I enjoyed this workout.  It was really nice to get some different exercise ideas using my newly acquired fitness circle.  However, after taking a sneak peak at the intermediate level, I think I might be more my speed as I am already familiar with the basics.

I would definitely recommend this video to anyone just getting started and are interested in an introduction to using props in your practice.

Have you ever done pilates with props?  Which tools are your favourite and why?
 
Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails