Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why I (Temporarily) Broke Up With Running

I actually hit the streets yesterday and went for a run.








































I absolutely love the fall weather for exercising outside.

If you have been following my little blog (or Dailymile, Twitter or FB), you may have noticed that my walks/runs were becoming fewer and far between.

I have just found in the last few months that I haven't had the passion for running (as I mentioned in my post about Changing Your Exercise Routine).  I have just been interested in doing other things like swimming and Turbo Fire.  Over the course of a year, I went from walking everyday to maybe once a week.


And you know what?  That is totally fine with me.

I try to listen to my body and it was telling me that it didn't want to run.  Fast forward a few months later and now I find myself slowly being inspired to dust of my running shoes and take it to the streets.






















I think what I really needed was a break (physically and mentally) to find my passion.  However, if I decided that I never wanted to run again, I would be okay with that too.  I am not married to one particular kind of exercise.  As long as I am loving my workouts, I am a happy camper.

Really, isn't that what exercise is all about?

When you enjoy doing an activity, you stick with it.  When it stops being fun (or perhaps you are not getting the results you are looking for), maybe it is time to mix it up and try try something else.

Now, I am not suggesting that you abandon certain activities or give up when the going gets tough.  I am simply suggesting that you keep an open mind and don't get discouraged if you want to stop one activity (like running) to try another.

Sometimes we just need a break to find our passion again.  Am I passionate about running again?  Not yet, but I think I will get there.

Have you ever "broke up" with an activity because you lost your passion?  Did you get it back?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails