Monday, September 19, 2011

Recipe Makeover: Sour Cream Coffee Cake

I heart coffee cake.

Jenna @ Eat, Live Run posted the most scrumptious looking recipe and I knew I had to try to make a lightened up version.
































I am sure my version is not quite as light and cakey as hers, but I am pretty impressed with how it turned out.  Low in fat and just enough sweetness to satisfy any cravings you might have.  I also like the way the oats and seeds gave it a wonderful crunch.  These square are perfect with coffee, tea or straight from the pan.  I hope you enjoy them






















Sour Cream Coffee Cake Squares (Makes 20 Squares)
Adapted from Zesty Cook

Cake
1/2 cup applesauce ( I used a berry blend)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
2 flax eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup low fat sour cream

Topping
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.

Prepare flax eggs and let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix applesauce, sugar, maple syrup and vanilla.  Add flax egg.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.

Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.  Stir in sour cream. (If mixture is too thick, you can add 2-3 tbsp of milk).

Add half of the batter to the pan.  Sprinkle on half of the topping.  Add the remaining batter and top with the rest of the strussel.

Bake for 55-60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Here is a nutritional comparison with a traditional coffee cake recipe.
























The fat (and cholesterol) are down and the fibre and protein are up.  A winner in my books :)

Are you a coffee cake lover?  Which kind is your favourite?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails