Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Healthy Apricot Loaf Makeover and A Sick Day

I had a long list of things I was going to accomplish today. Tackling the laundry, working on some posters for this sale, writing a few articles and the list goes on.

But I woke up today feeling sick.  Achy, tired, hot, just plain yucky.  My first instinct was to feel guilt (like many of us) about the things I wouldn't be able to do today.
















Then, I gave myself a shake and remembered to take my own good advice:  the body never lies, we have to respect what it needs.

Today my body is telling me to take it easy and all the wonderful tasks on my list can wait.  They will still be there tomorrow and the world is not going to end if I don't get them done tout de suite.

So here I am in a messy house, piled high with dishes and laundry, lying on the couch drinking lots of water and stocking up on vitamin C.

However, I have mustered up the strength to share this recipe with you. :)

I wanted to make these delicious muffins with a healthy twist and then remembered (with some sadness) that my oven is broken.  So I decided to use the same recipe to make a loaf in my beloved bread maker.

I nixed the butter completely, used a flax egg, and halved the sugar, coconut and apricots.  The result was a dense and moist loaf with just enough sweetness.

As I was eating it, I thought it would taste great if it was twice baked, like these.  I will have to try that when my oven is working again.
















 Apricot Coconut Loaf (Makes 20 Slices)

1 1/2 cups water (You could used milk, but I was all out)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used 1%)
2 flax eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped

Place all ingredients in the bread maker in the order listed by your manufacturer.  Set on the Quick Bread cycle.

Conversely, you could bake in a loaf pan for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.


















Do you feel guilty when you have a sick day?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails