Friday, May 27, 2011

Healthy Baked Granola Makeover

I have been living off smoothies lately. (This one is still my all time fave).
























Yesterday, I decided that they needed a little bit of crunch so I scoured the Internet for an easy and healthy granola recipe.

I found this one from the Chatelaine website and it fit the bill quite nicely.  This is not a true "makeover" as this granola is already good for you, but I did make a few adjustments as I didn't have all the ingredients on hand.

Improvisation is key to great baking, right?

I also baked the dates and the raisins although the recipe suggests to add them after.  Oops!  It still turned out great, so you could try either or.

This granola is yummy, low-fat and perfect in your smoothie, on your yogurt or straight from the bowl.



































Hearty Baked Granola (Makes 6 Cups)

4 cups of oats
3 tbsp flax seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease a large cookie sheet. (You could use 2 if you find there is too much mixture).

Mix oats, flax, coconut, raisins, dates, cinnamon and nutmeg.  In a separate bowl (I used a measuring cup), blend water, honey and vanilla.

Pour honey mixture onto the dry ingredients and stir to coat.  Spread mixture onto pan(s) and bake for 30-40 minutes (30 for 2 sheets, 40 for one) and stir every 10 minutes to prevent burning.

Store in an airtight container.


















What is your favourite way to eat granola?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails