Monday, June 13, 2011

#Fitblog Planks Challenge, Week 5: Alternate Workouts

Hope you had a great weekend!  It's Monday, so that means it is time for an update.
























I happily got in 5 workouts last week, and am still holding strong at 1 minute and 45 seconds for my plank.

I am determined to break 2 minutes and am thinking that I may be pushing my body a bit to hard, so I am going to incorporate an extra rest day this week and see how I feel.

At the beginning of the challenge, I posted some tips about performing your plank correctly and today I am going to talk about a few alternate workouts that you can do to exercise your core, arms and shoulders.


















Pilates
You already know I am a big fan pilates.  It will help you strengthen your core and improve your posture. 

The pilates push up is a great exercise that will target your entire body, especially your arms (can't forget about your pipes!)


















Balancing Exercises
Any exercise you do that takes you off balance and changes your centre of gravity, will cause different muscles (like your core) to fire off.

Like the example above, you can balance on one leg in a variety of positions or you could use a stability or Bosu ball to force your muscles to work overtime.  Added weight and movement creates an even greater challenge. 

How are you doing with your planks?  What are some of your favourite alternate workouts for the core?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails