Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Healthy Vanilla Chai Rice Pudding Makeover

I was over at Love Veggies and Yoga the other day and Averie was talking about some delicious and easy rice pudding she had made.

Hmmm, rice pudding?  It has been a really long time since I have made it and I was definitely up for a makeover challenge.

While her version looked super yummy, I am on week two of the detox and have to nix the dairy and sugar, so I decided to give it my own healthy twist.

I have also just discovered my strong liking (I can't commit to love just yet) for chai tea.  I thought it would be fantastic if I could recreate those spicy flavours in this recipe.

Mission accomplished.  This pudding is creamy and satisfying with just a little kick from the spices.  All the things I am looking for in a comfort food.
























Vanilla Chai Rice Pudding (Makes 12 Servings)*

3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup vanilla soy milk (or milk of your choice)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 cup raisins, soaked and drained
1/4 cup coconut

Add milk, vanilla, salt and pepper to cooked rice in a medium saucepan.  Stir and allow to simmer for 5-7 minutes.

Add remaining spices, raisins and coconut.  Serve warm and sprinkle with additional cinnamon and coconut, if desired.

Can also be served cold.

*If you are looking for a little more sweetness, you could add 1/4 cup of sugar.






















What is your favourite comfort food? 

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails