Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Resolutions Rebooted: Goal Obsession?

It is the first of the month, my bloggie friends, and that means it is time to reboot our New Years Resolutions!

Originally, I was going to recap some of my goals and let you know where I was at, but we had a very interesting discussion last night about goals on Fitblog Chats and I have decided to shift my focus.

I noticed that many people were talking about meticulously documenting their food and fitness goals and it got me thinking:









Now, I set goals for myself and my clients, just like you, but I am wondering if we get so wrapped around setting goals, making lists and keeping track that the real point gets lost:

To stay active, have fun and live a healthier lifestyle.

Here are some comments from yesterday:























 Some people find that tracking really helps them to do just that, stay on track.  Other people find that this kind of record keeping is more discouraging than beneficial.

Now, I am not suggesting that you shouldn't set goals.

I think it is a great starting point, as long as you don't let them take over your life.  Only you know the kind of person you are and you need to find something that works for you.

Maybe you blog about it.  Maybe you discuss it with your family and friends.  Perhaps you just keep a mental list or you could make it visual.



























To be honest, my Inspiration Board is what I have found the most helpful.  It is a quick and easy reminder of what I want to accomplish and how I want to feel.

I blog about it too.  At the beginning of each month, I write about some of my goals and offer some helpful tips.

However, if I didn't reach a goal or my aspirations have changed, that is perfectly alright with me.  Life changes, situations change and so should my goals.

The discussion has really got me thinking about how I approach goal setting and that perhaps I need to revamp they way I do it with myself and my clients.

What do you think? Are we getting so wrapped around setting goals that we are losing the fun in food and fitness?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

P.S.  If you missed any previous post, here they are in all their glory :)

January:  New Years Resolutions 2011
February:  Resolutions Revisited
March:  Resolutions Recharged
April: Resolutions Revamped
May:  Resolutions Re-energized

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails