Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Healthy Gluten Free Sesame Butter Bars Makeover

Last week, I decided to use my Magic Bullet to make some sesame butter.

It was an epic fail.  I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of it.

It was not smooth or creamy, rather clumpy and grainy.  Am I doing something wrong?  If you have any great tips, I am all ears :)

However, all is not lost.  Instead of tossing it, I decided that I could use it in a recipe.  I scoured the Internet and came across these babies:  Chick Pea Flour Cookies.  A perfect vehicle for my botched butter.

I made a few modifications.  I didn't have any bananas, so I subbed in applesauce.  I lost some of the sugar and replaced the chocolate chips with raisins.

To give them a little something, I decided that a glaze was in order.  I used up all the sesame butter, but almond butter did the trick.

The result: not bad.

The taste was actually pretty good, but they were on the dry side.  Next time, I may include a little bit of fat in the form of coconut milk to see if it helps.

Give them a try and let me know what you think.

















Gluten Free Sesame Butter Bars (Makes 16 Squares)

3 cups ground oats
1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp sesame butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins

Glaze
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/3 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8x8 pan.

Combine oats, chickpea flour, powder, soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, brown sugar, sesame butter, vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.  Add raisins.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Allow to cool and drizzle on glaze.  Cut into squares and devour.






















I hesitated to call this a "Healthy Makeover" as they are still not totally healthy, but they do have less fat and calories than the original, so I am sticking to my guns :)

Have you ever made your own nut butter?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails