Friday, June 03, 2011

Strawberry Banana Cake Bars

You may remember I picked up some dried chickpeas and made some lovely besan bread.


















Well, I still have a ton of them left and was looking for a fantastic recipe to make with them.  I came across the lovely Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit and she had created these tasty looking Blueberry Banana Cake Bars.

Jackpot!



These babies are healthy just the way they are, I just made a few small changes based on the ingredients I had on hand.









































(My first attempt at photographing my ingredients.  I think I took a million pictures and these were the best of the bunch :(  I am going to keep working on it :)

They turned out pretty well for a first attempt.  I decided to reduce the sugar by half as I was using sweetened almond and soy milk.  However, they weren't quite sweet enough for my liking so next time I will stick with a quarter cup.

Overall, I really liked the flavour of strawberries and banana and they are light and portable.  Perfect to take with you when you are on the go or just for a light snack.

Let me know what you think and thanks to Leanne for the inspiration!

Strawberry Banana Cake Bars (Makes 18 Bars)
















1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 cup oats
3 tbsp ground flax
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
2 tbsp egg whites
1 large egg
1 banana, mashed
1/8 cup cane sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup frozen strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 pan (or used your Brownie Pan like I did :)

Mix flour, bran, oats, flax, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.  In a separate bowl, whisk milk, egg whites, egg, banana, sugar and vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until combined.  Add strawberries.

Spread evenly into your pan and bake from 40-45 minutes.  Allow to cool and cut into squares.






















Stay Healthy,
Tracy

P.S. I am going have my first business booth tomorrow at the Etobicoke Mom 2 Mom Show from 8am-12pm.  If you are in the area, please stop by.  I would love to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails