Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Crazy Sexy Diet Review

A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to win a copy of Crazy Sexy Diet by Kris Carr from the lovely Natalie Duhamel.  I am feeling crazy and sexy this week and thought I would be fantastic time to share my thoughts on this book.



















I have to begin by saying that I truly admire Carr.  In the face of illness, she took her life into her own hands and decided to clean up her act and her diet.  She has courage, passion and perseverance that we can all look up to.

Carr approaches this book with a sassiness and wit that makes it not only fun to read, but easy to follow. (Her language can get graphic at times.  I wasn't offended, but some may be).

She tackles a wide variety of topics including:

  • The Standard American Diet and how it truly is SAD
  • The importance of PH balance in the body
  • How to use the Glycemic Index for healthy eating
  • The power of organic fruits and vegetable

She enlists the help of many experts who are featured throughout the book and echos many of the ideas of Michael Pollen. However, Carr's views are a little more extreme.

The book strongly advocates a vegan diet.  While she does make room for omnivores, it is clear that Carr is against the consumption of meat and dairy products.  I believe their is room for all kinds of food in my own world, but reading her views reminded me of the lesson I learned in the vegan challenge.

I think my favourite part of the book is a chapter called "God Pod Glow". It is devoted to other ways to take care of our mind and body such as exercise, meditation, yoga and massage to name a few.  These are so important and often get neglected in "diet" books.

At the end of the book, she includes a 21 Day Cleanse.  If you are looking for 21 days of what to eat and when to eat it, you won't find it here.  It not a diet, per se, it is a way of life. I do love that in each day of the cleanse, she includes positive affirmations, tips and mind-body activities.

For the cleanse, Carr recommends to go vegan, include juices and smoothies into your diet and practice the 80/20 rule of eating (80% alkaline foods and 20% acidic).  She does provide a sample week menu and some recipes to get you started.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and the idea of eating real, whole foods just makes good sense.  While I don't necessarily agree with all of Carr's views, I feel this book is taking us yet another step in the right direction:

To make us more aware of how we need to change the way we look at food and how we eat to create a happier, healthier society.

Have you read Crazy Sexy Diet?  What are your thoughts on the book?  I would love to hear them!

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

P.S.  Did you enter my giveaway?  There is still time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails