Friday, March 11, 2011

Healthy Fig Filled Cookies Makeover

I am definitely working-in today.  My body is talking (shouting, actually) and telling me that I need to rest.  I haven't been feeling my best for the past few days, so I think some relaxation is in order.

In the form of yoga, meditation and baking.

I can't think of a better way to work-in, can you?

As I was looking through my sparse fridge (some major shopping is needed) trying to figure out what to makeover today, I found this  ------>
 
I knew right away that it would be finding its way into some filled cookies!



I discovered this recipe and made a few modifications to reduce the fat and sugar content.  I have to say, they turned out pretty well for a first try.

The result was a slightly softer, but equally delicious cookie.  The sour cream and vinegar in the compote give them a really nice tang.  I will definitely be making these again and I hope you do to!

Fig, Walnut and Apple Filled Cookies (Makes 20 Sandwich Cookies)

Cookie
3 cups oats
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup ground flax
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup fig, walnut apple compote*
1/4 cup water

Filling
1/2 cup fig, walnut apple compote*

Combine oats, flour, flax, baking soda and salt.  In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add sour cream and compote.

Mix wet ingredients into the dry and add water.  Mix until combined.  Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.

Remove dough and place on parchment paper.  Roll to 1/4 -1/2 inch thick.  Use a cookie cutter or small glass to create shapes.  Repeat steps until dough is gone.

Bake for 12-15 minutes and allow to cool.

Spread about a 1/2 teaspoon of compote on each cookie and sandwich together.

Enjoy with a nice coffee or tea!

Nutritional Information (Approx)
129 calories
4.4 g fat
20.5 g carbs
2.5 g protein
2.1 g fibre

*If you don't have any pre-made compote, I would suggest blending dates, figs, almond, applesauce or whatever you have on hand with a little bit of lemon juice and sugar (if desired) to equal 3/4 of a cup.

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails