Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Great Artificial Sweetener Debate

Now, I am the first to admit that I had a love affair with...


















That's right, I was an artificial sweetener junkie.



In my coffee, on my cereal, and in my baking.  I actually liked the taste of it and thought if I could save some calories in the process, that was just a bonus.

Of course, like many of you, I had read about some of the side effects from products like aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and surcalose which include, headaches, depression, and weight gain.

I have also read that consuming a tiny amount of sweetener will not have a negative impact on our health (some products being safer than others.)

That worked for me, so I continued to indulge.

You will notice I am using the past tense.

I actually stopped using sugar substitutes by accident.  My supply ran out and I was sick for the week, so I just made due with water, juice and smoothies.

About a week later, I found a package of artificially sweetened drink crystals (I am sure you know the kind I am talking about :) and added it to my water.

Much to my surprise, I hated the taste of it.  Then I thought about it.

I am really making an effort to being nicer to my body and listening to what it needs. Maybe I didn't like the taste because my body doesn't want it?

As I reflected over the previous week, I realized that I actually felt better when I didn't have a daily does of asaprtame.

So now I am sticking with this...


















Now, I am certainly not criticizing or condemning anyone who uses artificial sweetener, I did so or many years.  I also think that small amounts are probably not going to make or break your health.

However, I am encouraging you to think about what you do (an do not) put into your body and how that makes you feel.

It is all about being mindful.

What do you think, artificial sweetener vs. sugar?  
Which one do you use?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails