Sunday, March 27, 2011

Detoxing and Cleansing

My friend Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit was discussing cleansing on her blog the other day.  I have written about detoxing before, but I thought I would dig a little deeper.




















I had always been weary of the idea of detoxing.  It seemed to me that the body is equipped with everything it needs to detox, naturally.  After all, one of the major tasks of the lymphatic system and the liver is to rid the body of toxins.

Many of the cleansing and detoxing products I had seen were quite extreme and require you to take a cocktail of pills, teas and juices. The whole process seemed dangerous.

I wasn't convinced that cleansing was necessary, or even healthy.

A few years ago, I wrote an article about detoxing and consulted with a Naturopath to learn about the benefits and the best way to approach it.

It was starting to make sense to me:

The body does naturally detox itself.  However, the body can't do it's job if we aren't giving it the nutrition it needs.  The body also affected by environmental and personal stresses.

By making gradual changes (that was key to me) to what we eat and how we treat our bodies, we can get the body back to it's happy state and run as good as new.

The spring is especially a good time to cleanse because our diets tend to be a bit heavier (and perhaps not quite as healthy) over the dark, winter months. 

If you are thinking about embarking on a cleanse, I would highly recommend consulting with a professional.  They will not only to give you the safest and healthiest options, but they can also monitor you progress along the way.

What do you think about detoxing?  Have you ever embarked on a cleanse?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails