Saturday, March 26, 2011

Healthy Banana Bread Makeover

And Not-So-Healthy-Peanut Butter Nutella Cupcakes.  I always say it is all about moderation, right? 

So today you are getting two recipes today for the price of one ;)

For the banana bread, I took this recipe and used my bread maker. I knocked out some of the fat and sugar, lost the egg and added some fibre.  This bread is oh so good, moist and delicious.

I made a loaf at the beginning of the week and it was gone before I could even take a picture of it.  Today, I snapped a shot before anyone could have a taste.




Banana Bread (Makes One 12 Slice Loaf)

1/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup applesauce
1 banana, mashed
2/3 cup milk
2 flax eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup wheat bran
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar

Breadmaker Method
Put the ingredients in the bread maker in the order listed (or as specified by your machine) and set to the Quick Bread or Cake cycle.

When cycle is done, cool and a wire rack and enjoy!

Oven Method
Prepare flax egg and set aside.

Cream butter, applesauce, sugar, banana and milk.  Add flax eggs and mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix flours, oats, wheat bran, baking powder, soda and salt.  Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth.

Pour into a greased loaf and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.


Peanut Butter Nutella Cupcakes

I followed this recipe to the letter, except I frosted them with nutella instead of the chocolate ganache.

They are decedent, rich and lovely.

There is absolutely nothing healthy about them and I am totally okay with that.

Deprivation is not a good thing.  Having a treat every once in the while is good for the soul. :) 


Have you ever madeover any recipes?  What is your favourite indulgence?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails