Thursday, March 17, 2011

Healthy Chocolate Fudge Coffee Cookie Makeover

A late post today, I have been as busy as a bee.

Thank you for all of your fantastic feedback to yesterday's post.  I was having a "I don't feel liking running" kind of day today, until I reminded myself how good I would feel after it was over.

I ran and felt good :)



Before I get to my success in baking, I have to share my epic fail.

This -----> is why you always use the yeast specifically made for the breadmaker :)

For the record, it still tasted pretty good.

For today's makeover, I wanted something uber chocolately and I know how well coffee enhances the taste of chocolate.  I found these lovelies and decided to give them a go.

I lost some of the butter and sugar and added some protein and fibre.  Halfway though making them, I discovered that I was out out my beloved applesauce, so I improvised with some blended canned fruit.

The result:  The cookies are good, but could use a touch more sweetness and more coffee flavour.  Try them for yourself and let me know what you think!


Chocolate Fudge Coffee Cookies (Makes 30)

3 cups oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup ground flax
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup strong coffee
1 flax egg
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease cookie sheets.  Prepare flax egg and set aside.

Mix oats, flour, flax, cocoa powder, baking soda, powder and salt until combined.  In a separate bowl, cream margarine and sugar.  Add pureed fruit and combine.  Add coffee and vanilla and flax egg.

Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just incorporated.  Drop by the teaspoon on to cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes.

Allow to cool and store in an air tight container.
 
Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails