Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bodybuilding and Shiny People at the UFE Show

I have just been a busy bee this weekend!

Yesterday, I told of my adventures at the Total Wellness Show and today I am going to give you the lowdown of my night with the shiniest people I have ever seen.




















I went to the UFE Spring Bash, a drug-free fitness competition that celebrates the human form at it's finest.  The show was just over 4 hours and featured several categories:

I was there to support my very good friend who was competing in the Figure category and has training been like a madwomen in preparation.  She looked fantastic.


There she is in the middle :)
















We saw some pretty amazing people.



















 These ladies were competing in the Grand Masters (55+) and Masters (45+) categories.  Wow.




















The men were there too :)











This was the sportswear category.  I am not sure if being the Easter Bunny is a sport, but it was very entertaining.















 We also scored a few goodies.















What amazes me is the amount of discipline, preparation and hard work it takes to compete.  Is is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Competitors follow uber strict diets and die hard exercise regimes (sometimes 3 hours or more a day right before the event) to get into this kind of shape.

I should have shown them my PIPES. :)


















Bodybuilding is very controversial with many experts in the industry.  Some feel that is unhealthy and promotes obsessive behaviours with exercise and food.

Right before competition, these athletes have very little body fat and have depleted their bodies of water and nutrients.

I think it can take a toll on the body, especially after years of training.

However, I think if you training with short-term goals, have a great team of experts behind you (personal trainer, nutritionist etc.) and always consider your own health first (listening to the body is key), it can be a great goal to strive for.

You have to remember too, that these competitors don't look this way all year round, they do have an "off season" where their eating and exercises habits are not nearly as strict.

What do you think of bodybuilding?  Is it dangerous? 
I would love to hear your thoughts!


Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails