Sunday, April 03, 2011

Healthy Protein Peanut Butter Blondies

My healthy makeovers don't always work out.  For every successful recipe I post, I have at least one fail.

The other day, I failed.

Well, almost. I wanted to try a no-bake protein bar using a sample I got a the Fit Expo last week.  It turned into oatmeal crumble.

It actually tasted pretty good and was a nice addition to my yogurt, but there was way too much for me to consume.



I thought I could try incorporating it into some kind of bar.  Out of 10, I give these bars about a 7.  They are high in protein and fibre and make a great post-workout snack.

Next time, I may try putting the crumble on top instead of in the batter.  Give them a try and let me know what you think.


Peanut Butter Protein Blondies (Makes 30 Bars)

Protein Mix
3 tbsp flax
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups oats
3/4 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp honey
1/4 cup applesauce
1 scoop protein powder

Bars
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup applesauce
2 flax eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla
protein mix 

To make the protein mix
Conbine all ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and set aside.


To make the bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan.

Prepare flax egg and set aside.

Combine flour, germ, baking powder and salt.  In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, flax eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined.  Add the protein mix.

Bake for 20-25 minutes and allow to cool before you cut into squares.

Have you ever tried to save a baking failure?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

P.S. Did you miss my announcement yesterday?  Check it out!

P.P.S  A big birthday shout out to my sister who is 20 today!  I can't believe that I am not 20 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails