Thursday, April 07, 2011

Organic or Not?

This question stirs up much debate among experts, foodies and bloggers alike.

Are organic foods and products better for you?  For the environment? 
Are they healthier?

I admitted in a previous post that I was an organic skeptic.  Then, I read "In Defence of Food" in preparation for the Vegan for a Week Challenge and it changed my world.

Why?




















You Are What You Eat (and Wear and...)
Organic products come from nutrient rich soil and all of those wonderful nutrients will end up in and on your body.  This is a good thing.

This is not to say that non-organic = bad, it is just a reminder to be more mindful about what you consume and how it affects your well-being.













The Environment Will Thank You
Most organic products are processed in such a way that is kinder to the environment.  No harsh chemicals are used and it is not tested on animals.

When you buy locally (and as we learned from "In Defense of Food", most local products are organic, even if they are not labelled as such), you are also reducing your carbon foot print.








Organic Can Be the Healthier Choice
You may have heard of the dirty dozen.  These are the fruits and veggies that absorb the most pesticides so try buying them organic when you can.

I also like that I can usually pronounce everything on organic food labels (which is more than I can say for their non-organic counter parts).

Note: You will notice here I said organic "can be" healthier.  Sugar is sugar, organic or not and too much of it is not such a good thing.

So what is the verdict?

I am a convert.

In my experience, I really do find organic food to be more flavourful and I feel good about putting it in (and on) my body.

That being said, I think we can still make some healthy non-organic choices as long as we are paying attention to ingredients and choose mostly whole, unprocessed foods.

One of the downsides for many people is that organic does come with a higher price tag and not everyone can afford the cost of admission.  This is totally understandable.
















My advice is to try a few organic products and see if they make a difference to your health and well-being.  That is what I am doing and if I find something that I truly love that is a little more costly, I re-work my budget to see where I can fit it in.

Keep in mind too, that we speak with our dollars.  The more people who buy locally and organically, the lower the cost will be.

Do you make organic choices?  Why or why not?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails