Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Healthy Chocolate Chip Squares Makeover

You would think that after Easter (and the many bunnies I consumed) that I would not want anything to do with chocolate for a while.

But I had half a bag of chocolate chips in the cupboard begging for a recipe makeover and I just had to listen. :)

I originally wanted to make a pie, but didn't have all the necessary ingredients on hand so I decided to to roll with squares.

I found this recipe and made my usual changes.  I lost the butter, eggs, most of the white flour and sugar, reduced the chocolate chips and coconut and added some fibre.


The result was a dense and tasty square.  This would be a perfect dessert to bring to a party or spring picnic and you won't miss the fat or sugar one bit.  Enjoy.

Chocolate Chip Squares (Makes 20 Squares)

















1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 flax eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and lightly grease 8x8 pan.

Combine flours, bran, salt and baking powder. In a separate bowl, mix yogurt, sugar, vanilla, flax eggs and milk.

Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well mixed.  Add more milk, if needed, until the mixture is the consistency of thick pancake batter.

Spread half of the mixture in the pan.  Sprinkle on chocolate chips.  Add coconut to the remaining mixture and spread on top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool and cut into squares.


















What is your best chocolate chip recipe?

Stay Healthy,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails